Thursday, April 24, 2008

An exciting new series on Foundvinyl, The Nandy Collection



Last Sunday, while going on my regular parade of the thrift stores here in Orlando, I came across a collection of about 18 various funk, R&B, soul, disco and new wave records all from the same collection. All the records are labeled with the same name, Nandy, written in permanent marker on white tape stuck to the record labels. I have no idea who Nandy is: whether he/she/it is a man or a women, casual music lover or DJ, whether NANDY is some sort of acronym or even if Nandy is alive or dead. The only clues I have are the markings that Nandy has left for me on each record; and Nandy left plenty.

So far, my idea is that Nandy is a woman, because her level of organization is something usually reserved for a female. For example, Nandy has circled all of her favorite songs on each record and crosses out songs she dislikes. Sometimes Nandy will even circle/cross out an entire side. This could also count towards the argument that Nandy was a DJ because it would be easier to determine what songs to play but DJ's don't usually preform with full albums and most of the collection consists of full albums.

I'm also assuming that Nandy is from New York, because three of the records from the collection are compilations produced by New York radio stations. The newest of which is from 1987, so I'm assuming she lived there around that time. Where she lived before and after, who knows?

But this is all speculation. The greatest thing Nandy left for me was the great condition she left her records in. All the records are wonderful: fun, soulful and mostly classics. But unfortunately, they are mostly forgotten classics. Which is why this week and for the next year or so, I will post at least one Nandy record a month. I'll give details on the quirks of each record so you can also kind of speculate who Nandy might be. You will know when I am featuring a Nandy record when you see the Nandy collection banner at the head of the post.

This is a very exciting find and I can't wait to share them with you all. Be sure to check back every week or add Foundvinyl to your RSS feed to stay in touch.

Edit: Well, what can I say? I've pretty much inherited a good chunk of Nandy's total music collection. I went back to Goodwill yesterday and there was another big load of Nandy records waiting for me. I bought them all which totals my Nandy records to 39. I'll keep going back until they stop putting them out I guess.

So, from now on, you can pretty much consider Nandy a regular contributor on Foundvinyl. I kind of feel silly for making so much fanfare about the collection now that I've got almost 40 records from her but oh well I guess. You'll be seeing that new snazzy Nandy banner a whole lot on here.

No comments: