Sunday, June 29, 2008

Heaven 17 - Play To Win + Proof Nandy is from New York City as predicted




Remember this?:

I'm also assuming that Nandy is from New York, because three of the records from the collection are compilations produced by New York radio stations.

Well, I was right. I took a closer inspection of Nandy's copy of Heaven 17's single "Play To Win" and found half peeled-off pricing sticker with the word "Bondy's" barely exposed at the top. So, I thought that I could finally pin down whether or not she was from New York by doing a simple Google search and sure enough, the fourth search result for "Bondy's" gave me an address in New York City. Here's the map.

I figure this would be as good a time as any to compile what I know about Nandy so far and maybe speculate about who she might be. First of all I now know that she lived in New York. I also know that she lived in NYC at least from 1982 to 1987 because I have three compilations from New York radio stations that wouldn't be available in stores for long, so they couldn't have been acquired anytime much later than that. I would speculate that she lived in NYC sometime before '82 though, because of the era these records span. I would guess from about 1976 to 1992, but that can't be proven.

Also, I have a pretty healthy stack of Spanish language records all baring Nandy's name. I have guessed that she was of Latino decent early on and I still maintain that guess. But, I am not completely sold on that notion yet.

Finally, and most importantly, I know that Nandy is a slave for extended dance mixes. If a record has an extended mix, it's circled or starred. Always. That's not to say she doesn't dig the single cut, but she loves an extended mix.

Hopefully more can be revealed about Nandy in the future. I still haven't figured out why she draws a giant capital I with black magic marker on some records. I'm guessing she is pointing out the tracks that she digs but it just seems like an odd choice of symbol.

But I digress. So without further ado, here is the record that proved without a doubt where some, if not all, of these records came from: Heaven 17's "Play To Win".


A-Side


B-Side

(Both tracks from Play to Win, 1981 Virgin/B.E.F; On 12" vinyl; Found at Goodwill of Orlando, Michigan location for $1.00)

More Heaven 17:

No comments: